Pages

Subscribe:

About

This blog is about the famous rapper Snoop Dog and Wiz Khalifa

Saturday, December 15, 2012

Snoop Dog: 'Now Snoop Lion'

Snoop Dog: 'Now I'm Snoop Lion'

Snoop Dogg is no longer Snoop Dog. Now he's Snoop Lion
Snoop (Calvin Cordozar Broadus Jr. when he's at home) announced the name change during a press conference in New York, recounting a sort of spiritual awakening he had while he was in Jamaica to record a record with Diplo:
"I want to bury Snoop Dogg, and become Snoop Lion. I didn't know that until I went to the temple, where the High Priest asked me what my name was, and I said, 'Snoop Dogg.' And he looked me in my eyes and said, 'No more. You are the light; you are the lion.' From that moment on, it's like I had started to understand why I was there. [...] “I have always said I was Bob Marley reincarnated. I feel I have always been a Rastafari. I just didn’t have my third eye open, but its wide open right now.”
Cue marijuana jokes. Seriously, though, Snoop's next album, Reincarnated, will be a reggae record. 
The Snoop Dogg Twitter account is still active, but points to a Snoop Lion Twitter stream. At some point, he'll want to unify them. The easiest way would be to change the name of the verified account. Also, there's a new Snoop Lion Tumblr page, showing off a new track called "La La La".
Vice documented Snoop's transformation on video; you can see the documentary trailer below. We suspect that this was not a sudden thing...

On Becoming Snoop Lion

With no disrespect to other rappers, but they can't fuck with me in rap. I've won every accolade you can get in rap... I want to feel like a kid again.
Snoop Lion
Snoop is 40 now, and his kids are old enough to be proper music fans: he wants them to be able to enjoy his music; so, to him, that means getting away from gangsta rap.
Snoop Lion (still sounds odd to us) says he's done with rap entirely, as it is no longer a challenge. Familiar words: Jay-Z once said the same thing, and his retirement from rap lasted about six seconds.
Before he was Snoop Dogg, Broadus was Snoop Doggy Dogg, which in turn is an adaptation of Snoopy Dog, the nickname his mom gave him when he was a kid.
Oh, and one more thing... the Snoop Dogg-Snoop Lion Animorph.

0 comments:

Post a Comment